Monday, February 11, 2013
ChumpCar Road Atlanta: Quick Recap
The Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series started its series with an attrition-filled 14-hour race at Road Atlanta, culminating in a close victory for Team SFR's BMW E36, which finished in limp mode..
Three cars finished on the lead lap with the second-place MR2 Biohazard Toyota outpacing Team SFR--which ran the last 10 minutes or so with virtually no brakes--by about 15 seconds a lap at the race's end. The Biohazard MR2--with its own failing tie rod--finished just 16.172 seconds behind.
Meanwhile, the third-place Special Forces (DTM) BMW E30 consistently put down late-race lap times in the high 1:40s to come within striking distance of the battle for the lead.
The race's fastest lap was set by the aptly named Flatout Racing Nissan 300ZX with a blistering 1:43.781, more than a second faster than any other lap in the race's 14-hour duration.
The winning race distance exceeded that of Petit Le Mans, which is just 394 laps.
If you want the whole scoop, including race play-by-play and highlights/lowlights, read the Road Atlanta topic on the ChumpCar forum.
1. #421 Team SFR (BMW E36) - 400 Laps
2. #38 MR2 Biohazard (Toyota MR2) - 16.1 seconds
3. #99 Special Forces (DTM) (BMW E30) - 29.7 seconds
4. #111 Schultz and Co (BMW E30) - 13 Laps
5. #19 Team Infiniti (Infiniti J30) - 13 Laps
6. #66 Jacky Ickx GT30 (Mitsubishi 3000GT) - 24 Laps
7. #83 Maximum Overdrive (Acura Integra) - 24 Laps
8. #95 One Piece at at Time (Chevy Malibu) - 26 Laps
9. #196 Stella Racing (Nissan Sentra) - 26 Laps
10. #336 BimmerWorld-Red Line Oil (BMW E36) - 28 Laps